Kerala, one of the lovely states in India, holds the eye of globetrotters with its in style hill stations, magnificent backwaters, coconut bushes, sprawling and plush tea estates, azure Arabian sea, pristine hamlets, arts & tradition, and rather more. This south Indian state can also be recognized for its wealthy historical past and tradition. Its unique wildlife additionally makes it an unbelievable vacation spot for wildlife fans. Kerala additionally provides vacationers with the chance to expertise its vibrant festivals, dances, delectable cuisines, Ayurveda therapies, literature, and artwork & craft. There are quite a lot of matters to learn about this lovely Indian state. To introduce you to some of them, right here’s the record of 100 attention-grabbing information about Kerala it’s possible you’ll not know.
1. Kerala is called after the huge coconut plantations within the state. ‘Kera’ means coconut tree and ‘Alam’ stands for land. Due to this fact, Kerala might be named because the land of coconut bushes.
2. Kerala is among the cleanest states in India. Together with Sikkim, it tops the record of the cleanest states in response to the survey carried out by the Nationwide Pattern Survey Workplace (NSSO).
3. It’s the solely state in India to have hospitals and banks in each village, subsequently growing the general improvement of the state.
4. Kerala is named ‘God’s Personal Nation’. This slogan is utilized by the Kerala Tourism Division. The attractive Arabian Sea within the west together with the backwaters make for a picturesque backdrop. Coconut bushes lining the shorelines and turquoise water of the ocean seize vacationers’ attraction in a jiffy.
5. Padmanabhaswamy Temple which consists of an infinite quantity of gold and treasured stones, is situated in Kerala.
6. Kerala is legendary for being a pioneer in Ayurveda. The state is dwelling to the world’s first ayurvedic resort- Somatheeram.
7. Amongst a number of forms of drugs accessible within the nation, Kerala makes use of Ayurveda as its major mode of drugs.
8. Kerala receives the primary spell of rain within the nation. Whereas the monsoon arrives in July in many of the states, it does in Kerala within the first week of June.
9. Together with Pondicherry, Kerala is the one different state in India to have intercourse ratio larger than 0.99. The state has 1084 females per 1000 males.
10. Kerala additionally boasts the best literacy charge in India. It has a literacy charge of 93.91% in response to the census of 2011. The city of Pathanamthitta has a literacy charge of 97.42%.
11. Kerala is actually a secular state. It’s dwelling to folks belonging to totally different religions residing in concord and peace. Individuals belonging to totally different religions might be present in its each nook and nook.
12. One of the vital superb information about Kerala is that it’s the largest client of gold in India. The state consumes about 1/fifth of the nation’s gold. That’s why it’s a regular sight to see brides coated with gold in weddings in Kerala.
13. It’s dwelling to an infinite amount of herbs with medicinal properties resembling Bharangi, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Brahmi, Ashwagandha, Amalaki, and Phyllanthus Amarus and so forth.
14. In accordance with CMS’ Indian Corruption Research of 2017, Kerala is among the least corrupt states in India with about 4% corruption in public providers.
15. Kerala is the biggest producer of rubber in India. The state produces greater than 90% of the entire rubber produced within the nation. Greater than 5 hectares of land within the state is used for rubber cultivation.
16. The Kerala Schooling Act launched in 1958 gave an amazing enhance to the literacy charge within the state, and performed a serious function in making it essentially the most literate state in India.
17. Kerala has been included within the record of Prime Ten Paradises of the world within the 1999 version of The Traveler Journal, revealed by Nationwide Geographic.
18. One of the vital great information about Kerala is that nearly 99% of the lads within the state take pleasure in entry to media publicity whereas round 94% of the feminine inhabitants has the identical attain. Newspapers in Kerala can be found in 9 totally different languages.
19. Elephant is the state animal of Kerala and has a particular bond with the state. It performs an crucial function in non secular processions and festivals.
20. Backwaters are one of many prime sights for vacationers within the state. These backwaters are an intricate community of streams and canals, all interwoven exquisitely. Lagoons and lakes are the foremost elements of those backwaters which run parallel to the Arabian Sea.
21. Coconut plantation performs a significant function within the economic system of Kerala. Round 7.70 lakh hectares of cultivated space within the state is used for coconut plantation.
22. Kerala’s Ache and Palliative Society present emotional help classes and free dwelling care providers to the sufferers and due to their noble efforts, Kerala has been named as the very best place to die in India.
23. In 2016, Kerala grew to become the primary digital state within the nation. The then President, Pranab Mukherjee, conferred the state with this title. Kerala has the biggest telecom literacy charge in India with full cellular connectivity and about 75% web connectivity.
24. Kerala is the primary state to incorporate panchayats and villages underneath the Nationwide Optical Fiber Community Program’s high-speed broadband connections.
25. It’s a lesser-known indisputable fact that Kerala has the best variety of digital banking customers and operational financial institution accounts.
26. Kerala is transferring quickly in direction of turning into the primary state in India with zero homeless residents.
27. Kerala grew to become the primary state in 2016 to have achieved 100% major training by way of its literacy program referred to as Athulyam.
28. One of many information that many individuals are unfamiliar with is that Kerala has the best mortality charge in India. As per the Pattern Registration Survey (SRS) survey carried out by the Registrar Normal of India, the mortality charge of the state is 10 per 1,000 dwell births.
29. Kerala is famend for its spices and known as the Spice Coast of India. The state boasts an assortment of spices which originated from the cultures of Christians, Muslims, Jews, and retailers who settled down right here. A creamy texture and aroma might be simply discovered within the unique cuisines of the state.
30. Kerala has the best per capita alcohol consumption within the nation. In accordance with a BBC examine, Kerala’s alcohol consumption quantities to over Eight liters per individual yearly. This determine is greater than Punjab and Haryana.
31. The oldest lively synagogue is the Paradesi Synagogue in Kochi, Kerala.
32. The primary ever mosque in India is Cheraman Juma Mosque and is situated in Kerala. The mosque was constructed within the 629 A.D.
33. Kerala, the state that provides a huge quantity of the entire world white coir fiber, is dwelling to the first-ever coir manufacturing facility in India. This manufacturing facility was arrange in Alleppey in 1859.
34. One of many unknown information about Kerala is that it has a excessive life expectancy of 75 years as in comparison with 64 years within the nation.
35. Kerala is blessed with the Western Ghats that are dwelling to one of many eight hottest hotspots on the earth. The state homes nearly all of the nationwide parks, wildlife sanctuaries, and forests within the Western Ghats.
36. Anamudi Peak of the Anaimalai vary is called the ‘Everest of South India’. The height reaches an unbelievable top of 8133 ft and is the best level on the Western Ghats. It shares its borders with Ernakulam and Idukki districts.
37. Kerala is dwelling to a number of the rarest wetlands, prominently the three wetland sites- Sasthamkotta Lake, Vembanad-Kol Wetland, and Ashtamudi Lake. These Ramsar websites play very important ecological roles and are among the many best-preserved secrets and techniques of the state. Sasthamkota is the biggest freshwater lake in Kerala.
38. The Nilambur Teak Plantation in Kerala is dwelling to the oldest teak bushes on the earth. It’s situated in Malappuram and stretches throughout an enormous area of two.31 hectares. This plantation was established through the mid-19th century by H.V. Conolly- the collector of Malabar District.
39. Kannimari in Malappuram, is the oldest tree on the earth. Moreover its environmental significance, it’s also worshipped by many tribes residing within the space.
41. One other attention-grabbing reality is that Cochin Airport in Kerala is the primary absolutely solar-powered airport on the earth. The airport was awarded ‘Champion of the Earth’ by the United Nations for its contribution in direction of the atmosphere.
42. Kerala is the primary baby-friendly state on the earth. The Child Pleasant Initiative sponsored by the WHO and UNICEF was adopted in Kerala by 1993.
43. Kerala is the one state within the nation that has an institutional supply charge of 99.9%. Nationwide Household Well being Survey says that in Kerala, nearly the entire infants are born in medical establishments and hospitals.
44. Muzhappilangad Seashore of Kerala is the longest drive-in seashore in Asia. It runs parallel to NH-66. This seashore can also be ranked amongst the world’s prime 6 seashores for driving by BBC.
45. There are round 44 rivers flowing within the state, making it wealthy in agriculture.
46. The historical past of Kerala as an Indian state in its present kind begins post-independence. The state was shaped in 1956.
47. Malayalam is essentially the most extensively spoken language and can also be the official language of the state.
48. Kerala is a treasure home of natural world and boasts 5 nationwide parks and 18 wildlife sanctuaries.
49. Anju Bobby George of Kerala was the primary Malayali lady gold medalist in world Athletic Championship.
50. Holy Angels Convent, established in 1888, is the primary ladies’ highschool in south India.
51. The launch of the primary sounding rocket from Thumba, Kerala in 1963, marked the beginning of the Indian Area Program.
52. Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala is dwelling to the headquarters of Kerala Bhasha Institute.
53. Eravikulam is the primary and largest nationwide park in Kerala.
54. Kerala is the birthplace of Sree Narayana Guru, who was a religious chief, a Hindu sage and social reformer in India.
55. Ammathottil was launched at Trivandrum in 2002. It’s a authorities initiative that gives care and providers for deserted kids.
56. KINFRA was the primary animation parks in Kerala.
57. One of many unknown and attention-grabbing information about this state is that the primary soil museum in India is situated at Parottukonam, Kerala.
58. Trivandrum was the primary electrified city in Kerala. It was electrified in 1933.
59. Kozhikode in Kerala had the primary lady police station within the state.
60. PT Usha, the well-known Olympian, belongs to the state of Kerala.
61. KM Beenamol was the primary Malayali lady winner of Khel Ratna Award.
62. KR Gowri was the primary lady minister of the state.
63. Padma Ramachandran was the primary lady chief secretary of Kerala.
64. Anna Malhotra was the primary lady IAS officer from Kerala.
65. Annie Mascarene was the primary Malayali lady MP.
66. R. Sreelekha was the primary lady IPS officer from the state.
67. Fathima Beevi was the primary Malayali lady to be a member of the Nationwide Human rights fee.
68. Sujata V. Manohar was the primary lady excessive court docket chief justice of Kerala.
69. Jothi Venkatachalam was the primary lady chancellor and governor of Kerala.
70. Mattancheri was the primary vacationer police station in Kerala.
71. Neendakara was the primary coastal police station in Kerala.
72. Kerala has a fisheries college with the identify of Kerala Fisheries College situated in Ernakulam.
73. Kerala is understood for the conservation of Sanskrit language. The well-known Sree Sankaracharya Sanskrit College is situated in Ernakulam district of Kerala.
74. Kozhikode, previously generally known as Calicut, was the place the place Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama landed in 1498.
75. The well-known Thattekad Chicken Sanctuary is situated in Kerala. It was the primary chook sanctuary within the state.
76. Mattupetti was the primary concrete dam inbuilt Kerala.
77. Konni was the primary forest reserve in Kerala.
78. Vellayani is an exquisite freshwater lake and is the southernmost freshwater lake in Kerala.
79. Kuthumkal in Idukki district is the largest private-sector hydro-electric undertaking of Kerala.
80. Silent Valley Nationwide Park is a nationwide park in Kerala, within the Nilgiri hills. The park consists of some uncommon species of natural world.
81. Malampuzha in Palakkad is the largest dam within the state.
82. Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is the primary wildlife sanctuary in Kerala.
83. Periyar is the longest river in Kerala.
84. There are in whole 9 nationwide highways in Kerala.
85. There are 34 lakes and 44 rivers in Kerala.
86. Kerala has 20 Lok Sabha and 9 Rajya Sabha seats within the state.
87. There is just one cantonment in Kerala. In is situated in Kannur district.
88. Jackfruit is the official fruit of the state.
89. Kanikkonna is the state flower of Kerala.
90. Karimeen (Inexperienced Chromide) is the official fish of Kerala.
91. Nice Indian Hornbill is the official chook of Kerala.
92. There are 152 block panchayats and 75 Taluks in Kerala.
93. The state represents 1.18% of the entire space of the nation.
94. Kanjikkuzhi (Alappuzha) in Kerala was the primary panchayat to get Swaraj Trophy.
95. Kerala has just one township referred to as Guruvayur.
96. Agasthyavanam, the primary organic park in India, is situated in Kerala.
97. Thenmala of Kerala was the primary eco-tourism undertaking in India. It’s a dam with the biggest reservoir within the state.
98. Trivandrum Public Library was the primary public library in Kerala.
99. Because the state is understood for its seashores, the coastal space of the state is of 580 sq. kilometers. Seashores of Kerala play a significant function in making it one of the visited vacationer locations within the nation.
100. Moolamattom Energy Station, situated in Idukki district of Kerala, is the largest underground hydro-electric undertaking in India.
Attention-grabbing isn’t? Kerala has a plethora of sights you by no means knew about. It has intrigued each traveler who has put his/her foot on this beautiful land. If in case you have chosen Kerala as your subsequent vacation vacation spot, nice! In spite of everything, each vacationer who visits it’s gifted with pretty reminiscences and experiences which stays with him for a lifetime.