Up to date: 02/13/2019 | February 13th, 2019
Just a few weeks in the past I discussed that this 12 months I wished to make the web site extra private.
Again in 2011, I wrote this put up that includes some private information about my life. It was a window into non-travel me. Properly, that was a loooooong time in the past. Life modifications. Individuals change.
So I assumed one solution to make this web site extra private was to resurrect this lengthy forgotten put up and share a window into the present non-travel me.
So let’s kick off
2011 2019 with some random information about me and my life:
1. I hate flying. I like airports, lounges, and elite standing, however the act of flying makes me sick. I don’t like heights and any turbulence makes me suppose the aircraft is about to crash. I’m not flier. (Ironic contemplating how typically I fly!)
2. After I was youthful, I used to be obsessive about Pinky and the Mind. I even had a T-shirt assortment. I additionally had a type of bowl haircuts, however I desire to overlook about that reality.
3. I by no means traveled independently till I went to Costa Rica at age 23. My journey experiences up till then had been a collection of highway journeys with my dad and mom and a drunken weekend in Montréal once I was 19. (I additionally by no means went west of the Mississippi till I used to be 25.)
4. After I was youthful, I wished to be an archaeologist due to Indiana Jones.
5. I obtained actually unhealthy meals poisoning once I was in Costa Rica. It was so unhealthy that I needed to be hospitalized for 3 days and placed on a morphine drip.
6. I went to varsity to be a highschool historical past trainer. I’m nonetheless technically licensed to show highschool historical past.
7. I’m a very good prepare dinner. I don’t prepare dinner a lot on the highway as a result of I hate how hostel kitchens aren’t totally stocked and everybody crowds them on the similar time, however every so often, I wish to prepare dinner a large meal for my fellow vacationers.
8. I was a vegetarian. After studying Quick Meals Nation, I made a decision to surrender meat and was a vegetarian for 4 years. It wasn’t consuming meat I used to be in opposition to, however moderately industrial farming and the chemical compounds/antibiotics within the meat that I didn’t like. I gave up vegetarianism once I began to journey.
9. I feel it’s impolite to show down meals in different cultures. If you happen to go to a village in Mongolia and you might be given meals, it’s insulting to refuse. “Sorry, your conventional and heartfelt cooking doesn’t go together with my dietary wants.” It’s culturally insensitive. However that’s a rant for an additional put up.
10. I’m an enormous fan of soul, Motown, blues, and jazz. It’s means higher than any of the pop music on the market.
11. If I might ever choose what time interval I might reside in, I’d choose 1920s Prohibition America. I feel that may be an thrilling time to reside in. However perhaps I’ve simply learn The Nice Gatsby an excessive amount of.
12. Talking of Gatsby, I discovered to swing dance so I might throw myself a Gatsby-themed birthday celebration. I did it for 3 years in a row. They had been epic birthday events.
12. I’m intensely political. After journey, politics is my second love. I reside and breathe politics, and it’s the solely information I sustain with whereas touring. I’m all the time prepared to debate and debate the world any time of the day and with anybody, regardless of how properly I do know them.
14. I don’t have a burning need to go to most Center Jap nations. There are elements I wish to / have visited (Dubai, Jordan, Israel, Qatar, Oman) however, as an entire, the realm is low on my record of locations to go to.
15. Individuals all the time ask will I do that perpetually? My reply: I don’t know. Perpetually is a very long time. I’d wish to journey for the subsequent few years, however who can say what the long run holds and the place it would take us? For now, I’m having fun with the journey and see no motive to hold up my backpack simply but.
16. I’ve been to over 30 Dave Matthews Band live shows. I’m a brilliant fan.
17. I’m a Japanophile. I like every little thing in regards to the tradition: the meals, the historical past, the etiquette, the panorama, the structure — all of it. I might eat sushi day-after-day if I might.
18. I’m a workaholic. Possibly as a result of I grew up in New England, I’ve the Puritan work ethic, and if I don’t have work to do, I feel one thing is improper and create work for myself. Idle palms are the Satan’s playground!
19. I made a decision to journey after assembly 5 backpackers in a shared taxi whereas on trip in Thailand. I used to be so amazed at what they had been doing that the subsequent day I made a decision to give up my job. They had been two Australians, a Canadian, and a Belgian couple. They modified the course of my life and do not know.
20. I’m an unabashed Taylor Swift fan. Not solely do I feel she’s an unbelievable businesswoman and marketer, however I additionally love her tacky pop songs.
21. I’m additionally an enormous fan of Sia. Unbelievable songstress and author.
22. I don’t play any sports activities nor know something about them. I couldn’t consider something extra boring than going to a sporting occasion. Actually, I as soon as fell asleep at a hockey match.
23. I don’t drink espresso. It tastes like shit to me. And I don’t wish to put added sugar or milk (or soy milk) in my cup of joe. Drinks ought to have the ability to stand on their very own! Nothing goes to alter my opinion on this. I’ve tried for years to accumulate a style for it. It’s simply not going to occur.
24. I drink tea. Plenty of it. Particularly inexperienced tea. That’s my drink of selection!
25. My alcoholic drink of selection is an quaint. Just a few years in the past, just a few pals turned me onto whiskey and I’ve been obsessed since. I choose a bar by the standard of the outdated fashioneds they serve.
26. Someday, I’d wish to discover ways to backyard. I wish to develop my very own meals. I like cooking and suppose it’s a logical step!
27. I was an expert poker participant. I funded a number of my authentic journey with poker winnings and lived in Amsterdam for just a few months taking part in “professionally” on the on line casino within the metropolis.
28. I don’t eat sweets. Possibly annually I’ll have a cookie or brownie however, for essentially the most half, I don’t do desserts or sweets as I don’t like all of the sugar.
29. I’ve a brand new guide popping out in July (you possibly can pre-order it now!). It’s about my ten years on the highway. Extra particulars subsequent month!
30. After I’m working, I’ll typically play one music on repeat over and over. It helps me focus as a result of it finally ends up simply being white noise. As I write this put up, I’ve been listening to Candy Annie by Zach Brown Band on repeat for the final two hours.
31. I don’t have a favourite shade. I’ve two. Blue and inexperienced!
32. In 2019, I wish to take up extra hobbies. I wish to swing dance extra, be taught French, take some cooking lessons, and attempt to discover ways to play the piano. If I do two of these matters, I’ll contemplate it a profitable 12 months.
There you’ve gotten it! Some enjoyable information about me. Now, you’re flip. Inform me about your self within the feedback under.
Methods to Journey the World on $50 a Day
My New York Instances best-selling paperback information to world journey will educate you find out how to grasp the artwork of journey lower your expenses, get off the crushed path, and have a extra native, richer journey experiences.
Ebook Your Journey: Logistical Suggestions and Methods
Ebook Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight by utilizing Skyscanner or Momondo. They’re my two favourite search engines like google as a result of they search web sites and airways across the globe so that you all the time know no stone is left unturned.
Ebook Your Lodging
You’ll be able to guide your hostel with Hostelworld as they’ve the most important stock. If you wish to keep someplace apart from a hostel, use Reserving.com as they constantly return the most affordable charges for guesthouses and low-cost lodges. I take advantage of them on a regular basis.
Don’t Neglect Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you in opposition to sickness, damage, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes improper. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances up to now. I’ve been utilizing World Nomads for ten years. My favourite firms that provide the most effective service and worth are:
In search of the most effective firms to economize with?
Take a look at my useful resource web page for the most effective firms to make use of if you journey! I record all those I take advantage of to economize once I journey – and that can prevent money and time too!