After dwelling in China and instructing English for slightly over a 12 months, we realized lots concerning the Chinese language customs and methods of life. We cherished dwelling there and since then have additionally loved a month spent touring Mongolia.
Regardless that these two fabulous nations are neighbours, they’re light-years away from one another.
We’ve made some observations about Mongolia and have found many variations between the Chinese language and Mongolian cultures, folks and customs.
Right here’s a listing of some variations that stood out for us:
1. Mongolians are greater. A significant distinction between the 2 nations is the looks of the folks. Chinese language folks are usually fairly small framed, slight and quick’ish. The Mongolians are a hearty breed of individuals, the lads are muscular and stocky, whereas the ladies are voluptuous and curvy. Additionally, the Mongolians have darker pores and skin and aren’t as involved with being white and fair-skinned, as Chinese language individuals are.
2. Chinese language meals is significantly better. We’re all about consuming the native delicacies of a rustic we’re in and despite the fact that there are some severely unusual street-foods in China, that delicacies is considered one of our favourites! Mongolian meals is principally simply meat and dairy. Evidently Mongolians (within the countryside anyhow) eat out of necessity reasonably than for enjoyment.
3. There’s no smoking in Mongolia. In China, it looks like each man smokes. Whether or not it’s in eating places, in outlets or on buses, all of them mild up. In Mongolia, there are “no smoking” indicators in all places and the principles are obeyed.
4. English is extra extensively spoken in Mongolia. Aside from being within the main cities like Beijing or Shanghai, English wasn’t readily spoken in China. Regardless that it makes travelling to China extra for the intrepid traveller and it was nice to attempt to be taught Chinese language and slot in with the native folks, it’s typically good to have folks perceive what you need and want!
5. Chinese language folks have their very own trend fashion. The folks in Ulan Bator (the one main metropolis in Mongolia) gown fairly stylish and have a really western sense of fashion. Out within the countryside, they don their conventional, and exquisite, clothes. The women and men of China have a really distinct, funky and trendy fashion of gown, which makes them totally different from what we’re used to seeing within the west.
6. The air high quality is healthier in Mongolia. This goes with out saying. There are about 1.5 billion folks in China in comparison with solely Three million folks in Mongolia. Travelling by means of Mongolia has positively been a breath of contemporary air.
7. China has many cities. Mongolia solely has one true metropolis, Ulan Bator. The remainder are thought of small villages. Evaluate that with the zillion (or one thing like that!) cities in China and it makes for a extra peaceable, much less chaotic and fewer polluted nation.
8. Mongolians are nomadic. Okay, so that they aren’t many true nomadic folks on this planet, however that is very true for Chinese language individuals who predominantly stay in populated cities. Mongolian folks within the countryside stay in gers and pack up their properties to maneuver to greener pastures 2-Four occasions per 12 months.
9. Chinese language folks like to eat fish, pork and rooster. Mongolians don’t. Whereas the Chinese language get pleasure from lighter proteins like fish, pork and rooster, Mongolian folks love their pink meats! They usually eat sheep, goat, yak and horse. Hearty meats for hearty folks, a should for conserving heat within the freezing chilly winters.
10. Chinese language individuals are fascinated by westerners. I can’t depend the quantity of occasions we had been the principle attraction at a selected touristy web site in China. We had our photographs taken quite a few occasions whereas dwelling and travelling there and virtually brought on a number of automobile accidents due to folks gazing us, reasonably than the highway! In Mongolia, they provide a fast look at us and stick with it about their enterprise – no staring and positively no photographs. Name us narcissists, however we form of miss the eye.
Regardless that there are a lot of, many variations between these two neighbouring, Asian nations, there are a number of similarities that stand out as effectively:
1. Each languages are extraordinarily exhausting to pronounce and be taught.
2. Buddhism is a distinguished faith.
3. Mongolia and China have very household oriented cultures.
4. Chinese language and Mongolians are each extraordinarily hospitable and pleasant folks.
We miss dwelling in China a lot! The experiences we had there have been life altering and unforgettable. Regardless that it was exhausting to say goodbye, making the selection to journey to Mongolia after finishing our contract in China was top-of-the-line selections we’ve ever made.
We had a blast travelling by means of Mongolia for 30 days. The off the overwhelmed path moments we had and the nomadic households and methods of life we encountered are a few of our fondest reminiscences, ever.
Have you ever ever been to China or Mongolia, or each?! What do you consider the tradition and the folks? Inform us beneath!
Prefer it? Pin it!