Up to date: 8/7/2018 | August seventh, 2018
Prague is a vacation spot that all the time appears to be in vogue. It’s been on the vacationer map for many years and the crowds present no indicators of abating, particularly because it turns into a middle for digital nomads and tech employees.
Prague is a beautiful, well-preserved medieval metropolis coupled with a wealthy historical past, expansive parks, Vegas-style nightlife, and a touch of romance. The town holds a particular place in my coronary heart: it was the primary metropolis I backpacked by means of on my round-the-world journey in 2006. It was the place I stayed at my first real hostel, the primary place I used to be alone, and the primary place I went to the place indicators weren’t in English. I grew as a traveler on this metropolis.
I’ve been again over a dozen occasions since that first go to. Through the years, lots has modified — there are extra vacationers, costs are increased, the meals is extra worldwide, and extra foreigners dwell within the metropolis. However the metropolis’s essence — all of the cliché stuff (cobblestone streets, quaint medieval homes, unimaginable allure) that makes Prague….effectively, Prague — continues to be there.
Right now’s weblog submit places one of the best Prague has to supply right into a manageable four-day itinerary. If you’re in search of a solution to set up your journey, this itinerary will aid you achieve this by instructing you what to see and do in Prague!
What to do in Prague: Day 1
Take a free strolling tour
Strolling excursions are a sensible solution to orient your self to a brand new metropolis, study some historical past, and listen to about the primary points of interest. There are a TON of free strolling excursions in Prague, so that you’ll have loads of choices. All of the tour firms meet close to the astronomical clock within the Previous City Sq. at 10 a.m. and final about three hours. They offers you an summary of the primary websites just like the Previous City Sq., Charles Bridge, Prague Fort, the Jewish Quarter, and extra.
My favourite firm is New Europe. They function free excursions round Europe and have a tendency to have upbeat guides and plenty of traditionally correct info. Free Excursions by Foot is one other nice possibility totally free excursions in Prague.
If you’re in search of a paid tour, try Prague Various Excursions which run wonderful different artwork and historical past excursions all through the town. I extremely suggest them. They’re run by native artists.
Go to Prague Fort
The well-known Prague Fort is the following logical place to go to since all of the strolling excursions finish close to this fashionable sight. The fort, which lords over the town, consists of a number of sections: St. Vitus Cathedral, the Previous Royal Palace, The Story of Prague Fort, St. George’s Basilica, Golden Lane with Daliborka Tower, the Powder Tower, and Rosenberg Palace. You should buy a ticket to all or any of those sights from the field workplace. Essentially the most well-known construction is St. Vitus Cathedral — that is the massive constructing you see once you lookup on the fort from exterior the town partitions.
119 08 Prague 1, +420 224 373 368, hrad.cz. The fort is open each day from 6am-10pm. Tickets vary from 70-350 CZK, with reductions out there.
Stroll round Petrín Park
Petrín Park is the town’s largest and most stunning park, with sweeping views of Prague. You’ll discover a backyard, a maze, and a lookout tower that appears just like the Eiffel Tower. You may climb the 299 steps to the highest of the tower and get an superior view of Prague (on a transparent day, you may see the Czech Republic’s highest pea, Snezka, some 150km away). What I like about this expansive park is how straightforward it’s to get misplaced among the many bushes. Paths meander all through, and it’s a soothing distinction to the crowds of the historic middle. Take into account that this park is on a giant hill and strolling to the highest could be strenuous. There’s a funicular that may take you down (and up) the hill should you don’t really feel like making the trek.
Petrínské sady 417/5. The park is open 24 hours and admission is free.
Go to the John Lennon Wall
After Petrín Park, head down in the direction of Kampa, a neighborhood by the river, and go to the John Lennon Wall. Towards the tip of Communism within the 1980s, college students began writing John Lennon lyrics on this wall as a solution to air their grievances. Right now, the wall represents love and peace. Vacationers are allowed to jot down or paint on it too.
Velkoprevorské námestí. The wall is free to go to anytime.
Calm down on the waterfront
It’s been a protracted day, so chill out in Kampa with a satiating drink, some meals, or a espresso. There are a selection of interesting eating places and cafés within the space. To get right here, simply maintain strolling towards the river from the John Lennon Wall. You’ll cross a bit bridge and there you’re! You’ll discover a number of locations to eat, sit, and chill out, and once you’re finished you may stroll throughout the well-known Charles Bridge again towards the town middle.
Advised restaurant: Kampa Park Restaurant, Na Kampe 8b, Lesser City, +420 296 826 102, kampagroup.com.
What to do in Prague: Day 2
Discover the Previous City Sq.
Although you bought an summary of the Previous City Sq. throughout your strolling tour, as we speak you may savor the sq.’s points of interest intimately. Among the highlights embrace:
- Hanging out within the sq. — The people-watching is unbeatable as vacationers, households, college students, and touts cross by means of the sq.. Sit on one of many benches, eat a sandwich, and luxuriate in! Furthermore, there are a selection of proficient musicians — starting from jazz musicians to Scottish bagpipe gamers, and all the pieces in between — that carry out within the sq..
- Astronomical Clock — Watch probably the most overhyped attraction in all of Prague! Whereas the hourly chime that individuals line up for is anticlimactic, the element and artistry of the clock make it some of the stunning in Europe.
- Go to the church buildings — The gorgeous Tyn and St. Nicholas church buildings ring the sq.. St. Nicholas is open all day, however Tyn is simply open within the mornings and late afternoons.
- Discover the catacombs — Below the Previous City Corridor, you’ll discover a collection of catacombs value exploring. They had been the primary stage of the medieval homes that was within the sq.. Now, they’re an exhibit (enter by means of the tourism workplace) showcasing medieval life.
Staromestské nám. +420 221 714 444, prague.eu/en.
Discover the Jewish Quarter
The Jewish Quarter in Prague is situated between the Previous City Sq. and the Vltava River and has six synagogues, a Jewish Ceremonial Corridor, and the Previous Jewish Cemetery. It is likely one of the hottest points of interest in Prague. Hitler saved it from Nazi destruction as a result of he wished to make the world a museum to the misplaced Jewish race. Now, the museums, synagogues, and historic graveyard within the space honor the historical past of what was one of many largest Jewish communities in Europe.
Discover Letenské sady (Letná Park)
This park, throughout the river from the Jewish Quarter, options a number of strolling trails, a café, and expansive views of the town. You’ll see loads of artwork college students portray the cityscape. Crossover to Chotkovy sady for stunning gardens and rear views of the Prague Fort. It’s quiet, with secluded paths that make for an intimate romantic stroll.
170 00 Praha 7. The park is open 24 hours and admission is free.
Take an underground Prague tour
Prague Underground Excursions runs an underground tour of the medieval homes within the metropolis middle. There are a lot of “catacombs” in Prague, that are principally the primary couple of ranges of previous homes as Prague has risen on the rumble of many buildings over the centuries. This tour could also be brief but it surely offers an in depth historical past about medieval Prague and is tremendous attention-grabbing!
Malé nám 459/11, +420 777 172 177, prague-underground-tours.com. The tour prices 410 CZK and lasts about 70 minutes.
What to do in Prague: Day 3
Take a day journey to Kutná Hora
Kutná Hora was an necessary middle for silver mining in medieval Bohemia. It helped maintain the kings of Prague wealthy. Now the city is legendary for its creepy bone church, Sedlec Ossuary, which incorporates 40,000-70,000 bones. For the reason that church takes solely about 15 minutes to see, head into the historic metropolis middle to see a few of Kutná Hora’s different points of interest, together with marvelous medieval church buildings, overlooks, well-preserved streets, and a big city sq.. It’s a small and quiet city that looks like Prague with out the crowds. You may take a tour or journey to Kutna Hora by yourself.
Trains for Kutná Hora go away the Prague predominant prepare station each two hours within the morning and the journey takes about an hour. It prices round 100 CZK.
What to do in Prague: Day 4
Whereas Prague Fort will get all of the love, Vyšehrad, situated within the southern a part of the town, was additionally one of many authentic castles of the kings of Prague. It was constructed across the 10th century and incorporates Prague’s oldest surviving constructing, the Rotunda of St Martin. Few vacationers ever come right here, so that you’ll get the fort and its views of Prague to your self. It additionally affords good upriver views of the town.
V Pevnosti 159/5b, Praha 2, +420 241 410 348, praha-vysehrad.cz. Open 9:30am-5pm (6pm in the course of the vacationer season). Guided excursions value 120 CZK.
Stroll up the river again into city
From the fort, you may take a pleasant stroll alongside the river again into the middle of city. There are strolling and bikes paths in addition to locations to cease, sit, and perhaps learn a ebook. It’s principally locals round right here, regardless of it being about 20 minutes from the town middle.
Go to the Powder Tower
Again on the town, make sure you try this medieval tower, one of many authentic 13 metropolis gates. Development started in 1475 and, in the course of the 17th century, the tower used to retailer gunpowder. It was closely broken in 1757 and a lot of the sculptures on it had been changed in 1876.
Namesti Republiky, 5, Stare Mesto, +420 725 847 875, muzeumprahy.cz/prasna-brana. Open each day from 10am-10pm. Admission 100 CZK, with reductions out there.
Wander the streets of Prague
Prague is a stunningly stunning and historic metropolis. Meander its winding streets. Discover random eating places, markets, and church buildings. Sit and watch the folks go by. Get fortunately misplaced and discover your personal offbeat points of interest and matters to do whilst you’re right here! Journey is, in any case, an act of discovery!
Different Actions to see and do whereas in Prague:
- Absorb a live performance — Prague is legendary for its classical music and there are live performance halls all through the town. They carry out nightly exhibits of classical piano and singing and also you’ll discover folks promoting tickets all through the town.
- Go to the Franz Kafka Museum — Love Kafka? Nice! You then’ll know Kaftka was from Prague. There’s a museum devoted to his life and work right here on the banks of the river. Cihelná 635/2b, +420 257 535 373, kafkamuseum.cz.
- Go to the Nationwide Monument at Vitkov Park — This hill has performed an necessary function within the improvement of the town and has a big statue of Jan Žižka, who defeated the Catholic King Sigismund and his forces in 1420 on this very hill! You’ll additionally discover the Ceremonial Corridor right here, which has an exhibit on the historical past of the nation in the course of the 20th century (it’s actually good and detailed) and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The excessive vantage level provides you unimaginable views of the town and the park is fashionable for working.
Advised Locations to Eat in Prague:
- Nation Life — Low-cost vegetarian buffet that gives vacationers nice worth for his or her cash.
- VinoGraf — Off-the-beaten-path wine bar serving solely Czech wines. Its small, candlelight setting can also be a great date spot.
- U Medvídku — Conventional Czech meals with scrumptious soup and goulash. In addition they brew their very own beer.
- Las Adelitas — Scrumptious and genuine Mexican meals for these with a fiery palate, one of the best I’ve present in continental Europe.
- Prague Beer Museum — Regardless of its tacky title, this place has a big selection of beer and good meals with massive parts.
Prague has been certainly one of my favourite cities on the earth since I first visited in 2006. Although there’s a fixed mass of vacationers, Prague’s magnificence will all the time make this touristy metropolis one value visiting. And, hopefully, this itinerary will aid you resolve what to see and do throughout your go to to Prague.
E-book Your Journey to Prague: Logistical Ideas and Tips
E-book Your Lodging
You may ebook your hostel in Prague with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep elsewhere, use Reserving.com as they persistently return the most affordable charges. (Right here’s the proof.)
Don’t Neglect Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will defend you towards sickness, harm, theft, and cancellations. I by no means ever go on a visit with out it. I’ve been utilizing World Nomads for ten years. It’s best to too.
Want Some Gear?
Take a look at our useful resource web page for one of the best firms to make use of!
Need Extra Info on Prague?
You’ll want to go to our strong vacation spot information on Europe for much more planning ideas!