In September I had the pleasure of spending a protracted weekend in Lengthy Island New York. A few of chances are you’ll recall from earlier posts that I used to be born in New York Metropolis. Whereas residing in NYC and Northern New Jersey as a baby, I visited family and friends in Lengthy Island very often. I recall lovely suburban properties in lush inexperienced neighborhoods. As an grownup I returned to Lengthy Island. I frolicked in The Hamptons one summer season and it was fabulous. For these of you not aware of Lengthy Island New York, it’s a “lengthy” island extending from New York Harbor eastward into the Atlantic Ocean. Right here is a superb map of Lengthy Island New York. It’s truly the most important and longest island of the 48 contiguous states. In direction of the jap a part of the island it splits into two sections. There may be the “North Fork” and the “South Fork”. The coastal areas of every are often known as the “North Shore” and the “South Shore”. The North Shore is thought for an prosperous space known as the “Gold Coast” in addition to having wineries and vineyards. The Hamptons are in style and prosperous seaside cities alongside the South Shore. What if I informed you the phrases that come to thoughts now once I consider Lengthy Island are: seashores, boardwalks, wine, vineyards, seafood, lighthouses and sumptuous mansions. Wouldn’t you be able to guide a visit there? I do know most individuals solely go to New York Metropolis when visiting New York State. However, as I’ve proven you in my current journey posts, there may be far more to New York State than NYC. Here’s a record of matters to do whereas exploring Lengthy Island New York.
1. Discover totally different neighborhoods: Throughout our journey to Lengthy Island we visited Patchogue. Patchogue is described as a village on the South Shore of Lengthy Island. It’s about 60 miles east of Manhattan. It’s a quaint space with a booming Predominant Avenue. There are distinctive outlets and eating places together with al fresco and rooftop eating. Buy groceries at “Paper Doll Curiosity Shoppe” then have lunch or dinner at “Rhum”. Rhum has a tropical environment, a tropical impressed menu and a rum bar. Rhum is the one location in Patchogue with a rooftop bar and so they have swings=enjoyable. Rhum additionally has an award-winning key lime pie and I may style why.
2. Go wine tasting: Lengthy Island’s wine area is simply a 1 ½ hour drive from New York Metropolis. They’re identified for the manufacturing of vinifera wines. There are Three AVAs in Lengthy Island and over 50 wine producers. The Lengthy Island viticultural space is sometimes called the “East Finish”. In style pink wine varietals within the space are Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. In style white wine varietals are Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc. Throughout our lengthy weekend exploring Lengthy Island we visited Jamesport Vineyards. It’s situated in Jamesport New York on the North Fork. They’re open each day for wine tastings and there’s a restaurant with a wooden fired oven on web site. Though all of the wines have been scrumptious, I explicit loved the white wine “Cinq Blanc” and the Demi-Sec Riesling. I additionally loved strolling by the gorgeous vineyards.
3. Eat native delicacies: We ate very nicely whereas exploring Lengthy Island New York. I plan to do a comply with up publish on the place to remain and eat in Lengthy Island. Look out for that publish within the subsequent 2 weeks. I’ll say that I had all the things from tropical dishes, French meals and naturally seafood. If you’re in search of yummy lobster rolls, head to Lengthy Island New York.
4. Discover Historic Mansions: Take a step again in time to the “Roaring 20s” AKA the Nice Gatsby period. Nice Gatsby came about in New York Metropolis and on the Gold Coast of Lengthy Island. Rich New Yorkers constructed extravagant mansions in Lengthy Island and the world is known as the “Gold Coast”. Throughout our lengthy weekend in Lengthy Island we visited Outdated Westbury Gardens. Outdated Westbury Gardens was constructed within the early 1900s. It was modeled after a British property and consists of lakes, ponds and expansive gardens. Outdated Westbury Gardens affords strolling excursions, historic excursions and lectures. Out of doors festivals and concert events are held on the grounds. I used to be amazed at how a lot of the unique property, together with the furnishings and work, nonetheless exist.
5. Go to a Polo Match: Polo in Lengthy Island dates again to the late 1800s. The Meadowbrook Polo Membership was established in 1881 and is the oldest polo membership within the U.S. It’s sometimes called the “sport of kings” because it was performed by and was in style with wealthy New Yorkers. The primary time I noticed a polo match was in Lengthy Island. Whereas on trip in The Hamptons, we briefly attended a match. Quick ahead 17 years and I used to be in a position to see my second polo match in Lengthy Island. On the Sunday of our journey we headed to Bethpage Polo on the Park. I loved watching the aggressive match in addition to the environment of the VIP tent space. There was meals, drinks, a DJ and even a raffle happening. It was a household pleasant occasion with adults and youngsters current. After the polo match, we had the chance to talk with a couple of of the gamers. The gamers have been from totally different international locations and of various ages however all exhibited ardour for the game. Polo matches are held at Bethpage Polo Park each Sunday from late spring to early fall so be sure you attend one.
6. Discover the seashores, boardwalks and lighthouses: Nothing says summer season to me like a seaside and a boardwalk. Lengthy Island has a ton of seashores that you would be able to discover. As talked about above, I visited The Hamptons beforehand which incorporates Montauk, South Hampton, East Hampton and Sag Harbor. I cherished the complete space. Throughout my current go to to Lengthy Island we frolicked on Lengthy Seaside. It has a protracted and broad boardwalk crammed with resorts and eating places. Bikes can be found for lease and chances are you’ll simply spot a surfer or two. Different in style seaside actions embrace SUP (arise paddle boarding), yoga, kayaking and scuba diving. Lengthy Island additionally has over 25 lighthouses. I extremely suggest driving out to see the Montauk Level lighthouse. It was commissioned by George Washington in 1796. Here’s a helpful hyperlink that will help you discover the seashores and lighthouses on Lengthy Island.
7. Attend an occasion: Final however not least are the particular occasions and festivals held on Lengthy Island. Throughout our journey we attended the twondannual Lengthy Island Diner En Blanc. Diner En Blanc is an all-white out of doors feast. We had a blast! Take a look at my weblog publish and YouTube video of the occasion.
For extra data please go to the Uncover Lengthy Island web site. Have you ever been to Lengthy Island New York? In that case, share your ideas with us under.
Though I used to be on a press journey by Uncover Lengthy Island, all opinions expressed on this publish are my very own.
Pin this publish for future reference: