I’m Reema, STA Journey Ambassador, avid budgeter and outdoorsy backpacker. I’m a fan of globetrotting the world as a solo feminine traveler, so I’ve put collectively my final packing checklist for anybody who’s going off on a solo feminine journey…
Solo journey teaches you numerous about perseverance, independence, completely different cultures, and the world! I adore it – it’s the easiest way to catch the journey bug, achieve some invaluable real-life abilities, and end up. Actually. It sounds tacky, I do know, however I’ve by no means realized about myself greater than once I’ve traveled alone, particularly as a younger California school lady.
So, what do you have to pack? Are you bringing a keep it up suitcase for every week? Are you backpacking Southeast Asia for six months? Or will you be mountain climbing within the Icelandic wilderness for a month? What you pack is essentially depending on how lengthy you journey, the place you journey, and the way you journey.
Important garments to pack
- 5 Mild shirts – tank tops or tee-shirts: convey no less than one that may cowl your shoulders, in case you’re in a extra conservative nation or if you wish to go to a rustic abound with temples or different spiritual buildings (suppose Thailand, India, Egypt, and many others.)
- 2 pairs of shorts: I might keep away from bringing the booty shorts which might be the norm in my residence state of California, as it’s possible you’ll get a whole lot of undesirable consideration (plus nobody desires to hike in a pair of brief shorts, proper?!)
- 1-2 pairs of leggings/yoga pants: I are inclined to stay in these once I journey, however no matter you like. Bear in mind, you may all the time do laundry! If it’s essential be conservative, leggings ought to be wonderful often, however convey one looser pair of pants simply in case. I like to recommend one thing like a mountain climbing pant; they are usually extra comfy and nice if you happen to plan on adventuring.
- 1 gown: I might advocate one thing you may put on for any event; one thing you may gown down with flip flops or gown up with ankle booties. You by no means know what occasions you may get invited to!
- Snug undergarments: convey lots – bras in massive sizes may be actually troublesome to search out in lots of Asian and European international locations, simply FYI.
- 1-2 swimsuits: I might advocate 1 bikini, and a one-piece, which may be helpful in international locations like China, the place bikinis will not be the norm…
- 1 gentle, skinny rain jacket
Important toiletries to pack
- 1 compactable toothbrush.
- Adequate sanitary merchandise: this relies largely on the place you go, as in some international locations this might be simple to search out, however in some, tampons simply aren’t out there.
- No matter minimal quantity of make-up you’re feeling crucial; once I journey, I convey a journey sized mascara or waterproof mascara, a small brown/black eyeliner, and one lipstick – however I’m not sporting make-up more often than not in sizzling climate as a result of it’ll simply slide off. Nobody wants that.
- Strong toiletries: from shampoo to conditioner to fragrance, stable merchandise are your pal – not solely will they make it easier to keep away from annoying liquid rules when going via airport safety, however this may help stop spillage. Many stable merchandise additionally are inclined to final a very long time and may be very prime quality! Take your self to Lush and refill.
- Every little thing else you must be capable to purchase comparatively cheaply in whichever nation you go to! Nevertheless, whenever you’re mid-flight, you’ll want a toolbox of necessities to maintain you sane, particularly for the long-haulers. Try this checklist of in-flight necessities!
Important tech to pack
- Common adaptor
- Cellphone charger (I might convey two and depart them in numerous places inside your baggage, since you don’t wish to lose battery)
- Laptop computer: solely convey this if you happen to really need/want it. Generally it’s good to actually unwind and tech detox for some time (and cut back the load of your bag for these a lot wanted souvenirs). When you do resolve to convey your laptop computer nonetheless, do not forget that theft is usually a major problem when backpacking in some (often extra heavily-traveled) international locations, so take additional precautions; don’t simply depart your laptop computer out in your hostel mattress whenever you depart for the day! And get some first rate insurance coverage.
- For extra necessities, take a look at this packing checklist!
Important additional solo journey reads