An underrated vacation spot that needs to be on each globetrotter’s checklist, Taiwan provides a various panorama for vacationers: a kingdom with beautiful nationwide parks for out of doors adventurers, a variety of yummy native meals to feast on, a liberal and progressive Asian society – Taiwan simply turned the primary Asian nation to legalise homosexual marriage – and a wonderfully balanced fusion between fashionable metropolis’ and age-old traditions. Nonetheless not satisfied? It’s additionally one of many most secure locations to go to for solo feminine vacationers.
When you’re pondering of touring there, then check out our information that can assist you determine the very best time to go to, easy methods to get round, what to eat, the place to go to and easy methods to funds.
Finest time to go to Taiwan
You may go to Taiwan all yr spherical, because it’s heat the entire time. However in case you’d wish to keep away from humidity, hurricane season and plenty of vacationers (sounds hectic in our opinion – nevertheless, it’s manner cheaper to go to at the moment of yr), then go to between April – June or September-November.
High four locations to go to in Taiwan
- Taipei: The capital metropolis on the northern tip of Taiwan, Taipei fuses modern-day cosmopolitan dwelling with historic Taiwanese traditions. An actual melting pot of tradition, with a powerful skyline besides.
- Kaohsiung: A metropolis positioned on the southern coast, Kaohsiung is a stylish city hotspot, with a vibrant café tradition, a number of greenery, and a unusual artwork district.
- Tainan: The oldest metropolis in Taiwan, Tainan holds on strongly to the normal cultures of the Taiwanese, with a number of attention-grabbing temples and museums, and a mighty native meals scene.
- Hualien: The the biggest county in Taiwan, Hualien is dwelling to the breathtaking Taroko Nationwide Park. Stick round and also you’ll discover a fashionable metropolis with landscaped parks, ocean views and a variety of foodie spots.
Getting round Taiwan
Taipei and Kaohsiung each have metro methods (MRT) that may get you from level A to level B rapidly and simply. You may even take it to and from the airport too! The metro maps are clearly labelled, so that you shouldn’t have bother discovering your manner round.
In Taipei, you possibly can both purchase single-trip tickets, ranging anyplace from 20NT$ (approx. 64c) to 65NT$ (approx. $2.) or you possibly can additionally purchase the day-passes, which can assist you avoid wasting cash.
When you’re travelling all through Taiwan, the very best is to purchase an EasyCard. You may hold topping it up with cash and use it all through the nation. EasyCards are accepted on the Maokong Gondola, Taipei buses, Taiwan railway, Taiwan Excessive Velocity Rail, and taxis. They price 100NT$ (approx. $3.22) and also you’ll must prime it up as you go. Any worth unused on the finish of your journey is returned to you, so no worries there.
The Excessive Velocity Rail covers the foremost cities on the west coast, and can assist you get between Taipei and Kaohsiung in simply 90 minutes. You’ve additionally obtained the TRA community throughout rail, which is cheaper and runs throughout Taiwan, nevertheless it additionally takes longer. When you’re below 30 years outdated, you should purchase a Taiwan Rail Cross for five, 7 or 10-day ranging from 599NT$ (approx. $19.28).
You may as well take the buses as they’re out there all all through Taiwan. They are usually cheaper than trains and have entry to rural areas
Different transportation choices embrace scooters, bicycles, boats and planes.
Language spoken in Taiwan
Nearly all of languages (or at the least, the principle languages) spoken in Taiwan come from the Chinese language language. The language most generally spoken is the nation’s official one, Mandarin Chinese language. Try these prime 5 phrases that’ll be probably the most useful when you’re touring.
- Nĭ hăo (nee how) – Hi there.
- Xièxie (hsieh hsieh) – Thanks
- Bù hǎo yì si (Boo how ee si) – Excuse me
- Bú yòng, xièxie – no, thanks
- Duō-shǎo-qián (pronounced Doo-oh shao chen) – How a lot?
It’s at all times a good suggestion to have Google Translate in your telephone, so you possibly can talk simpler with the locals.
If all else fails, you possibly can relaxation assured that probably the most extensively spoken overseas language in Taiwan, is English.
Finest meals to eat in Taiwan
We gained’t repeat ourselves, as we’ve already written a fairly tasty weblog concerning the 7 meals it’s essential attempt in Taiwan’s evening markets. However be ready for the meals porn: Xiao Lengthy Bao, dumplings, and beef noodles galore!
Had sufficient of avenue meals? (Who’re you?!) Taiwan additionally has its fare share of quirky and inventive themed eateries.
Journey funds for Taiwan
The price of a hostel room in Taipei might be as low cost as $10-15 per evening, and meals might be as cheap as anyplace else in Asia, that means if it’s essential get monetary savings while travelling, you gained’t wrestle.
Listed below are some tips about saving cash in Taiwan…
- Two phrases: Road. Meals. A no brainer, and one thing you’ll positively need to attempt many times – particularly for the reason that style and worth by far outdoes loads of sit-down eating places.
- Seize meals on the go from 7-Eleven/7-11 or Hello-life. Hello-life is a comfort retailer very like 7/11, and you may choose up low cost and fast meals whenever you’re dashing about, or try to save lots of the pennies.
- EasyCard makes it – you guessed it – straightforward to journey round Taiwan, and can even get you reductions at sure sights. When you’re a scholar, register your card, and also you’ll get scholar reductions at retailers and sights.#
- Very like anyplace you journey on the planet, free WiFi is your saviour. Forgo the sim playing cards or expensive roaming prices, and go for maintaining in contact with family and friends in your hostels or lodges – it’s good to have a digital detox anyway!
Packing suggestions for Taiwan
- Examine the climate forecast beforehand to see whether or not you must pack some layers.
- However in any case, pack mild, significantly in case you’re travelling round You’ll need just a few dressier outfits for evenings out in Taipei!
- Pack good strolling sneakers or sandals
- Use your greatest judgement on the subject of choosing a backpack or a suitcase – public transport is simple for suitcases, however in case you’re going to extra rural areas, it is perhaps extra handy to make use of a backpack.
- Pack. Bug. Spray (and sunscreen).
Armed and able to go along with our useful information to Taiwan? Effectively haven’t we obtained excellent news for you. We’re providing you with $75 off all flights to Taiwan!
Learn extra, search and e-book excursions, day journeys and extra on our Taiwan Journey web page