Netflix. Espresso. Alcohol. Carbs. Intercourse. Earlier than you leap to any conclusions, this isn’t a abstract of my weekend. It’s what a gaggle of millennials mentioned they’d surrender for the prospect to journey the world free of charge.
Lonely Planet’s co-founder, Tony Wheeler, as soon as opined that the toughest a part of travelling was making that preliminary, at-the-cliff-edge choice to go. However for the respondents in this survey, the toughest half appeared to be stumping up funds.
Embracing modern-day monasticism is a method of fixing the issue, I suppose, however a evaluation of this yr’s journey information tales suggests an alternate strategy that doesn’t contain fairly a lot self-denial: working overseas.
Higher than harvesting kumquats
I hear you groan. However earlier than you progress on, I’m not speaking about instructing English or being an au pair or mixing Mai Tais or harvesting kumquats, good although these gigs may be; I’m speaking about dream jobs, which crop up with stunning regularity.
In accordance with my sums, these fantasy roles appeared at a charge of a couple of a month in 2018; optimistically, subsequent yr will throw up simply as many gilt-edged alternatives for the footloose and fancy-free.
Sceptical? I’d be. However contemplate the next vacancies, all of them from the final 12 months:
* A journey company sought 4 daydreamers to watch the world go by from the consolation of their seaside chairs for a fortnight of utmost, but well-paid, idleness in Stockholm, Sweden. Candidates wanted to display a matchless skill to do candy FA.
* A value comparability website recruited an adventurous retiree to jet off on a senior hole yr, an all-expenses-paid journey world wide designed to fill within the blanks on their bucket listing.
* The US was a cheerful searching floor for dream jobseekers. What may presumably be higher than trousering $10,000 to journey the States taking photographs? How about being paid the identical sum for troughing your method throughout that nice nation looking for its greatest barbecue?
* In Italy, in the meantime, the makers of Ferrero Rocher – nonetheless the ambassador’s go-to snack – actually spoiled us by in search of 60 (sure, 60) folks to develop into taste-testers of Nutella in Piedmont (which Lonely Planet just lately named the very best area on this planet to go to in 2019).
* If drink trumped meals in your hierarchy of wants, there was an opportunity to develop into an envoy for Bombay Sapphire as a substitute. The mission? Go on a globe-trotting, gin-guzzling bender, following (unsteadily) within the footsteps of fictional explorer Phileas Fogg.
* Searching for one thing extra sober? The Bahama’s Baha Mar resort wished a professional chicken nerd to take care of its flamboyance of flamingoes, whereas billionaire Richard Branson’s Necker Island was trying to find a brand new paper shuffler.
Hope springs everlasting
* The Caribbean wasn’t the one choice for a would-be castaway, although: a fancy resort within the Maldives wished a ‘barefoot bookseller’ to stalk the sand, whereas ailurophiles will need to have been purring with pleasure on the considered caring for 55 cats on the Greek island of Syros.
* If decamping to a desert island didn’t fulfill your stringent definition of getting away from all of it, there was nonetheless one excellent off-the-beaten-track alternative for these with sufficient flying hours: a job as a pilot for the key airline that flies out and in of Space 51 (you already know, the place the US authorities maintain the aliens).
* Lastly, Santa couldn’t get sufficient little helpers in Finnish Lapland, which launched a recruitment drive for elves, reindeer wranglers and aurora chasers. Supplied you’re not left chilly by the considered temperatures as little as -50C, the place higher to hunt the spirit of Christmas?
What can we conclude from all this? That hope springs everlasting in terms of journey alternatives, I feel. So, good friend, in case your prolonged listing of latest yr’s resolutions options the seemingly incompatible injunctions to ‘journey extra’ however ‘spend much less’, don’t despair.
Giving up all the nice matters in life – okay, Netflix, espresso, alcohol, carbs and intercourse don’t represent a whole listing, however they’re shut sufficient – isn’t the one choice open to you; maintaining a watch out on your dream job in 2019 is perhaps a greater tactic.